What do you think of when you hear the term “self-care?” According to Siri – our universal expert – self-care is about being a champion for your own mental, physical and emotional well-being. We usually think of practicing self-care through exercise, meditation, getting a massage, checking in with your MD, Chiropractor, Naturopath etc. All very important elements of self-care, however, I think I’ve discovered the next level of self-care. Let me ask you something…when was the last time you celebrated YOU? This past weekend I took my self-care up a few notches and did something very unlike me, in fact, something I have never done in my adult life – I threw myself a party! I accepted compliments without awkward hesitation, I said YES when friends offered to bring snacks, I even let someone else fuss about making sure drinks were refilled, coats were hung and friends arranged for taxis and Ubers to get home. Now I know not everyone is going to throw themselves a party (although I do highly suggest it), so I have a few simple ideas, and I really encourage you to do one today. See how it feels to make YOURSELF the most important person in your life.
- Toast yourself. Raise the glass of wine, tea, coffee or water high and give yourself an actual toast – aloud if you can.
- Plate your next meal beautifully. Pull out your best plates (and keep these out friend…nice things should be used not hidden away for ‘special occasions’, you are the special occasion every day), add a fun garnish, take the time to sit down and eat slowly.
- Take a bath with candles, a book, some nice bath products, the whole shabam! Moms – lock the door.
- Make a praise jar. Set your timer for ten minutes. Write down all the amazing things about yourself on small pieces of paper (don’t analyze- just scribble them down) and place them in the jar. Every morning grab a ‘praise’ from the jar and spend a few moments meditating on the note. You could also ask your family or friends to contribute a few notes.
- You pick the playlist. Blast your favourite tunes. Dance, sing, and airband to your heart’s delight.
- Treat yourself to your favourite flowers, coffee, piece of cake, lip balm…whatever! A small present for yourself can go a long way.
- Let others do things for you. Next week Market Made can help in your self-care journey by making your lunch. Make sure you are subscribed to our newsletter if you live in the Collingwood, ON area and are interested in our meal delivery service.
Here’s to more YOU in 2020! Make yourself the priority in your life and I promise you’ll be able to contribute in a much more meaningful way to those around you.